Man, John Daly is the guy. Little backstory for ya for those who are unfamiliar: John Daly rose to stardom in 1991 When he was the ninth (out of nine) alternate for the tournament, but got in because none of the other 8 could make it to course in time, and then proceeded to win the whole damn thing.
He is also the only man to ever win two majors and not appear in a Ryder Cup, and in 1997 became the first PGA Tour player to average more than 300 yards per drive over a full season. He did so again in every year from 1999 to 2008. Anytime an underdog wins and hits absolute dingers off the tee, you’ll have a fan in Prent.
Want to know how Daly prepares for a round? Good. I’m Glad you asked:
Daly also took time out of his busy schedule to participate in a Fundraiser on the Monday after the Masters. Here is what this magnificent bastard gave us on that day:
Nothing like John Daly ripping a drive (that probably went 300+ yards) off a beer can and then picking the can up and drinking the beer (no one likes a beer to be spilled. Just wasteful really) and doing it all while barefoot. That’s about as John Daly as it gets right there.
John has admitted that he was a raging alcoholic for much of his career and has also implied some fairly decent use of of cocaine, so some of this long list of fun actually makes some sense:
- During the 1998 PGA Tour’s Bay Hill Invitational, Daly used a three-wood to hit six golf balls into the water during the final round
- In 2002, after making a triple-bogey seven on his last hole at the Coolum course in Australia, Daly threw his putter and ball into a pond
- In March 2008, Daly’s swing coach Butch Harmon quit, saying that “the most important thing in (Daly’s) life is getting drunk.” (why don’t you get off your high horse, Butch)
- On October 26, 2008, Daly was taken into protective custody by Winston-Salem police after being found drunk outside a Hooters restaurant. Daly was not arrested or charged with a violation. However, the police released his mug shot to the media which resulted in negative publicity. Shortly after this incident, Daly committed to stop drinking alcohol
The following incidents are just straight up hilarious because I would do the EXACT same thing:
- Daly walked off during his first round at the 2011 Australian Open after hitting all of his golf balls into the water
- In the second round of the 2015 PGA Championship at the Whistling Straits Golf Course in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, Daly, who was at the time 1-over par right at the cut line, hit three consecutive tee shot attempts into the water of Lake Michigan at the par-3 7th hole. He used a 4-iron on the first unsuccessful try, then switched to a 6-iron on the next two failed tries. After his fourth attempt (his 7th shot), which found the green, Daly was so livid about his shot selection that he threw his 6-iron into Lake Michigan
My point is, John Daley is my spirit animal. Guy hits absolute bombs off the tee, drinks a billion Diet Cokes a day, and is the namesake of my favorite drink (Bicardi Limon mixed with Arnold Palmer half and half. Go ahead and try one, you can thank me later). He has won Majors, recorded studio albums, and has had some Tin Cup type meltdowns. But you know why I like him? For the same reason I like Curt Schilling. You can love him or hate him, but he is real as real can be.